Creating and editing files
There are alot of editors out there to compose documents and programs with, and everyone
has their own favorite, so here are the several common ones you can choose from. All of
them are run by typing 'editor_name file_name' and if the file doesn't exist it
will be created.
Listed from best to worst
IMPORTANT: For (almost) all terminal editors:
'^x ^s' to save
'^x ^c' to quit
- For editing in X Windows, if it is available, this
is a good editor with mouse control you will want to use.
- A fairly friendly editor that I would recommend for the
beginner who doesn't want to learn emacs. Has a small menu.
- A popular and powerful editor, it is very good for programmers.
Start it up and type '^h t' for a tutorial.
- Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs, much the same as emacs,
but fewer features to worry about.
- stands for Visual Editor, and should be avoided unless you are a masochist.