LVDVS DOMESTICVS: '03-'04.
Third Experience - Homework 17
§ The Church week dedicated to Christian Unity: Jan. 18-25 offers many treasures also of modern Latin which merit our attention and study in the LITVRGIA ROMANA PAVLI VI .
A] 'Praefatio: de unitatis Corporis Christi quod est Ecclesia'.
"Vere dignum et iustum est, aequum et salutare nos tibi semper et ubique gratias agere Domine sancte Pater omnipotens aeterne Deus, per Christum Dominum nostrum.
Per ipsum enim nos adduxisti ad agnitionem tuae veritatis ut unius fidei et baptismi vinculo Corpus eius efficeremur; per ipsum in cunctis gentibus largitus es Spiritum Sanctum tuum qui in diversitate donorum mirabilis operator et unitatis effector filios adoptionis inhabitat totamque replet el regit Ecclesiam".
VOCAB. nos...agere=that we render-give. efficere=to make. cunctus,a,um=all,every.
B] Some of the 'preces pro unitate' which are found in the various "Masses" programmed for Christian Unity:
- The two 'per ipsum' here should sound heavily in the vernacular:= ________ but maybe they can also mean simply: ________
- Why did the Latinist here first write: "tuae veritatis" and then "unius fidei"?
What form-case are those expressions? ________ what will be the DAT. form-case in Latin for each?
- What is that 'vere' in Latin? ________ and that 'salutare'? ________
give the superlative form for each of them as they are used in the text:=
- Point out any SUBJUNCTIVE which you find here and identify its Time:
Give the other three SUBJUNCTIVE Times of that same form and use:
- We have just begun to talk about the proper use of each SUBJUNCTIVE Time which is NOT a matter of: ________ but is subject to:
In this example, on what verb does your SUBJUNCTIVE depend for its Time and use? ________
- What is the reversed of that: 'omnipotens aeterne Deus'? =
- The Latin here is super-smooth and should not cause you any difficulties, as you render it perfectly for publication:
A) "Qui una semel hostia, Domine, adoptionis tibi populum acquisisti, unitatis et pacis in Ecclesia tua propitius nobis dona concedas".
B) "Quam tibi, Domine, offerimus hostia et purificationem conferat et omnes uno baptismate coniunctos eorundem mysteriorum tandem participes efficiat".
- Where do you find the 'antecedent' for that initial "qui"? how will it be expressed in Latin? ________ and what will its function be?
This should totally affect your vernacular version of the prayer: where to begin?
- If the 'adoptionis' [what form-case? ________] for its meaning depends on ________, then the 'unitatis et pacis' depend on what? ________.
- If the verb is: "concedo,ere,concessi=to grant" then what is 'concedas'? ________ in the whole context does it function as a dependent or independent verb? ________ and what effect is that going to have? EXPLAIN:
- If you have understood everything in the text, before your translation, you can give us the reversed of: hostia= ________ dona= ________ tua= ________
- How would you give orders in Latin and say: "translate! [interpretor,ari,atus] as-faithfully-as-possible [fidelis,e] this very text (textus,us-m.) which does not exceed-outdo [supero,are] the powers [from: vis...] of your one (unus,a,um) mind but follows the systems [ratio,onis] of your whole (totus,a,um) Latin instruction (institutio,onis)":
VOCAB. confero,confer[e]re=to give,grant,confer. particeps,ticipis=partaker,sharer.
C) "Sacramenta Christi tui sumentes quaesumus Domine, ut in Ecclesia tua sanctificationis gratiam renoves quam dedisti et omnes qui christiano gloriantur nomine in unitate fidei tibi servire mereantur".
- What is the subject of the verbs: 'conferat' + 'efficiat'? ________
- What does your DICT. tell you about: "idem,eadem,idem"?
What do you tell people who insist that 'ipse,ipsa,ipsum' means "the same"?===:
What is the reversed of: 'eorundem mysteriorum'?=
- How are the SUBJUNCTIVE here going to sound and WHY?
- What is the exact meaning of the two: 'et' in the text? ________ of 'coniunctus' all alone? ________
- As we never begin with the first words where are you going to begin your version of the prayer: with what word and with what English word?
VOCAB. sumens,entis=taking,receiving. quaesumus,(cf in DICT. 'quaeso'). servire+Dat.=to serve,be subservient to. ut=in order that: introducing a purpose-final clause.
- If the verbs are: "glorior,ari,atus=to boast,glory" and "mereor,eri,meritus=to merit", then what Times do you see in them here? ________ and you can add the Time of 'renoves' [renovAre]: ________.
- The 'sumentes' in the PL. can agree only with ________. AND according to the VOCAB. given, how will the SUBJUNCTIVE in the text 'sound' and WHY?
- What is T.2 for that: 'gloriantur'?= ________ and for 'mereantur'?= ________
- Now give your professional version of the new - and difficult - Latin text:
- If the reversed of that 'omnES' must be= ________ then the reversed of "renovES" must be:= ________
Third Experience Latin - Fr. Reginald Foster
Return to Index