LVDVS DOMESTICVS: '03-'04.
Third Experience - Homework 21
§ LATINE incipies: "Because (cum+SUBJUN.) the Roman biographer Nepos pleased [placere+DAT.] us so much, and because we were getting so great [tantus,a,um] usefulness from his Latin stories, it was suggested [proponere; suadere] by little-tickets (scidula,ae-f.) having been thrown [inicere] into the proper box (cista,capsa,scrinium) that [ut+SUBJUN.] more examples of the same author be given [tradere] to us immediately".
[N.B. what kind of action is found in: "we were getting"? ________ and in contrast in "Nepos pleased"? ________ Write the sentence in such a way that it ends with the main verb.] § CORNELIVS NEPOS [100-25 ante Chr.].
A] "Timoleon Corinthius. Sine dubio magnus omnium iudicio hic vir exstitit. Namque huic uni contigit - quod nescio an nulli - ut et patriam in qua erat natus oppressam a tyranno liberaret, et a Syracusanis quibus auxilio erat missus iam inveteratam servitutem depelleret totamque Siciliam multos annos bello vexatam a barbarisque oppressam suo adventu in pristinum restitueret".
VOCAB. existere=to stand out,appear. contingo,ere=to happen+UT: that - introducing a result NOT purpose clause. quibus auxilio: 2 DAT.:to whom for help. nescio an HERE=I do not know whether, 1 am inclined to believe.
B] "Aristides, Lysimachi filius, Atheniensis.../ Adeo excellebat Aristides abstinentia ut unus post hominum memoriam - quem quidem nos audierimus - cognomine Iustus sit appellatus ... Hic qua fuerit abstinentia, nullum est certius indicium quam quod, cum tantis rebus praefuisset, in tanta paupertate decessit ut - qui efferretur - vix reliquerit. Quo factum est ut filiae eius publice alerentur et de communi aerario dotibus datis collocarentur".
- The SUBJUN. here are in T.____, WHY? analyze the sentence complex in order to get the proper reason-explanation:
- If you were a journalist at Timoleon's time and were following him on his expedition you might report back: "huic uni contINgit ... ut", and then write out the Latin form for the following verbs because of that change:
- Your personal version of the super smooth text - almost made for schools and Latin classes!!
- Take your pen and convert the: "ut----restitueret" clause into its passive idea and form in all the possible elements:
VOCAB. abstinentia,ae-f. [cf.DICT.]=modesty,moderation,self-control. indicium=indication,proof. cum [L.3]=although + SUBJUN. praesum,praeesse,praefui=to be over, to be in charge-of+DAT. decedere=to depart,die. qui HERE=by which. publice (cf. DICT.)=at public expense. aerarium=treasury. collocare=to settle,organize in marriage. dotibus datis=dowries having been given. fio,fieri,factum=to be done,happen.
§ The beginning of TEMPVS QVADRAGESIMAE demands that our magnificent LEO MAGNVS [440-461], cf. Ludus 2, come back an this and the next "Ludus" with his wonderful 'Lenten' sermons:
- All the SUBJUN. here, with the possible exception of "efferretur" are not on your 20% list and therefore will sound: ________
- In this text it is very interesting and instructive to analyze the "consecutio".
- a) 'fuerit' in L.3 depends on ________, and has what kind of action: ________
- b) 'praefuisset' in L.4 depends on ________, and has what kind of action: ________
- c) 'alerentur...collocarentur' depend on ________, and have what action? ________
- d) 'qui efferretur' really depends on "reliquerit"=reliquit. and will represent a purpose-final clause sounding ________.
- The subjun. that you see in: 'audierimus'-'sit appellatus'-'reliquerit' are examples of 3% consecutio-sequence. What does that mean to you when you hear it?
- You can render this baby Latin correctly if you read whole sentences and make the right connections. [N.B. 'effero,efferre - in DICT. among other things=to take out for burial!]
A] "Vnde quia tales fructus mater virtutum continentia parit et ieiunantes a vitiis ad ineffabilia oblectamenta perducit, studiosiore nunc opere - dilectissimi - exsequamur praecepta caelestia, et quia totum paschale sacramentum in remissionem est conditum peccatorum, quod celebrare optamus imitemur. 'misericors' enim 'et iustus Dominus' ita promittit indulgentiam suam, ut eam etiam his, quibus parcit, indicat". [Tractatus L,3].
VOCAB. pario,ere=to beget,produce,bring forth. ieiunans=one-fasting. condo,ere=to establish,found,set up. parco,ere=to spare+Dat.object.
- A question for the 1st Experience: 'quod celebrare optamus imitemur". To what does that 'quod' relate, grammatically? ________ how is that expressed and where does it belong? EXPLAIN:
- If your reading tells you: 'exsequamur'+'imitemur' are main-principal verbs here, then they must sound ________.
- There is a difference in Latin between: "indico,are=to indicate" and "indico,ere=to order,impose,command,decree." Which one does Leo use? ________ how could the audience catch-understand this?
- What is the reversed of: 'paschalE sacramentum'= ________ and 'studiosiore opere'=
- Your perfect version of the Leonine modern text:
- SAY: "Because (cum+subjun.) God has spared sinners, it is commended that (ut) they spare their neighbors".
Third Experience Latin - Fr. Reginald Foster
Return to Index