My Pictures of Ars

I made a pilgrimage to Ars, France

(48K)
433 x 648
A little ways outside the city, this statue recalls St. John Vianney on his way to become Curé (pastor), meeting a boy on his who he asked for directions. Vianney said to him: "You have shown me the way to Ars, I will show you the way to heaven."
(30K)
648 x 431
The approach to Ars, a tiny village not far from Lyon, France, which St. John Vianney transformed by his preaching, prayers and lifestyle. This view is from the international seminary, where many young men are studying for the priesthood.
(30K)
720 x 480
On the right, the presbytery (rectory), with the maid's quarters in the foreground, and the basilica in the background.
(35K)
720 x 482
The presbytery is still intact as it was when the holy Curé of Ars lived here. Here is the kitchen.
(29K)
648 x 434
His bedroom, still containing all his belongings. It was the sight of many of his fights and ordeals with the devil.
(47K)
720 x 479
The shrine and tomb of Saint John Vianney's incorrupt body in the Basilica.
(35K)
433 x 648
After his death, the Basilica Vianney dreamed of building was realized, adding on to the original Church, which remains as the main nave of the Basilica.
(51K)
478 x 720
A side altar dedicated to St. John Vianney, called the chapel of the Glorification.
(27K)
431 x 648
The entrance and belltower of the original Church, onto which the Basilica in the background was added.
(19K)
434 x 648
It is in this confession that he heard confessions up to 17 hours a day.
(42K)
480 x 720
St. John Vianney had numerous side chapels built onto the Church which originally consisted only of one nave. Here is the one dedicated to the Virgin Mary, whom he consecrated the parish to. In the foreground is a little pulpit which he used when teaching catechism.
(30K)
431 x 648
The side altar to St. Philomena, who St. John Vianney attributed many miracles too. Notice the crutches along the wall.
(30K)
431 x 648
This is the location of the underground church (unseen), constructed for larger pilgrimage groups.
(35K)
648 x 434
Inside the underground Church (with 2500 seats).
(29K)
430 x 648
The chapel of the Heart, the arch above the entrance recalls that he is the patron saint of all the parish priests in the world.
(41K)
431 x 648
Inside the chapel of the Heart, a reliquary with the heart of the holy Curé of Ars, and a statue showing him in prayer.

Click on an image to see the full size photo

<-- Return to Photo Index Fr. Coulter's Homepage Good Counsel Retreat House